Dr. Michelle K.Y. SIU 蕭君兒博士
BSc; PhD (HK)
|L7-47, Laboratory Block, Faculty of Medicine Building, 21 Sassoon Road, Pokfulam, Hong Kong|
- Studies of the molecular and cellular mechanisms that contribute to the pathogenesis of gynaecological cancers
- Mo Y, Leung LL, Mak CSL, Wang X, Chan WS, Hui LMN, Tang HWM, Siu MKY, Sharma R, Xu D, Tsui SKW, Ngan HYS, Yung MMH, Chan KKL, Chan DW. Tumor-secreted exosomal miR-141 activates tumor-stroma interactions and controls premetastatic niche formation in ovarian cancer metastasis. Mol Cancer 22, 4 (2023). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12943-022-01703-9
- JIANG Y., Siu K.Y., WANG J., Leung T.H.Y., Chan D.W., Cheung A.N.Y., Ngan H.Y.S. and Chan K.K.L., PFKFB3 Regulates Chemoresistance, Metastasis and Stemness via IAP Proteins and the NF-κB Signaling Pathway in Ovarian Cancer, Frontiers in Oncology. 2022, 12.
- WANG J., Siu K.Y., JIANG Y., Leung T.H.Y., Chan D.W., WANG H., Ngan H.Y.S. and Chan K.K.L., A Combination of Glutaminase Inhibitor 968 and PD-L1 Blockade Boosts the Immune Response against Ovarian Cancer, Biomolecules. 2021, 11, 1749. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/biom11121749
- HE J., Siu K.Y., Ngan H.Y.S. and Chan K.K.L., Aberrant Cholesterol Metabolism in Ovarian Cancer: Identification of Novel Therapeutic Targets, Frontiers in Oncology. 2021, 11. http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fonc.2021.738177
- WAN K.T., Leung T.H.Y., Siu K.Y., MO X., Tang W.M., Chan K.K.L., Cheung A.N.Y. and Ngan H.Y.S., HPV-induced Nurr1 promotes cancer aggressiveness, self-renewal, and radioresistance via ERK and AKT signaling in cervical cancer, Cancer Letters. 2021, 497, 14-27. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2020.09.025
- Han C., Patten D., Kim S., Lim J., Chan D.W., Siu K.Y., Han Y., Carmona E., Parks R., Lee C., Di L.J., Lu Z., Chan K.K.L., Ku J.L., Macdonald E., Vanderhyden B., Mes-Masson A.M., Ngan H.Y.S., Cheung A.N.Y., Song Y., Bast R., Harper M.E. and Tsang B., Nuclear HKII–P-p53 (Ser15) Interaction is a Prognostic Biomarker for Chemoresponsiveness and Glycolytic Regulation in Epithelial Ovarian Cancer, Cancers. 2021, 13, 3399. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/cancers13143399
- Siu K.Y., JIANG Y., WANG J., Leung T.H.Y., Ngu S.F., Cheung A.N.Y., Ngan H.Y.S. and Chan K.K.L., PDK1 promotes ovarian cancer metastasis by modulating tumor-mesothelial adhesion, invasion, and angiogenesis via α5β1 integrin and JNK/IL-8 signaling, Oncogenesis. 2020, 9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41389-020-0209-0
Leung T.H.Y., Tang W.M., Siu K.Y., Chan D.W., Chan K.K.L., Cheung A.N.Y. and Ngan H.Y.S., CD71(+) population enriched by HPV-E6 protein promotes cancer aggressiveness and radioresistance in cervical cancer cells, Molecular Cancer Research. 2019, molcanres.0068.2019. http://dx.doi.org/10.1158/1541-7786.MCR-19-0068
Siu K.Y., JIANG Y., WANG J., Han C.Y., Tsang B.K., Cheung A.N.Y., Ngan H.Y.S. and Chan K.K.L., Hexokinase 2 Regulates Ovarian Cancer Cell Migration, Invasion and Stemness via FAK/ERK1/2/MMP9/NANOG/SOX9 Signaling Cascades , Cancers. 2019, 11( 6 ), 813. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/cancers11060813
Chan K.K.L., Siu K.Y., JIANG Y., WANG J., Leung T.H.Y. and Ngan H.Y.S., Estrogen receptor modulators genistein, daidzein and ERB-041 inhibit cell migration, invasion, proliferation and sphere formation via modulation of FAK and PI3K/AKT signaling in ovarian cancer., Cancer Cell Int.. 2018, 18. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12935-018-0559-2 (Publication No. : 290709)
Chan R.W.S., Lee C.L., Ng E.H.Y. and Yeung W.S.B., Co-culture with macrophages enhances the clonogenic and invasion activity of endometriotic stromal cells, Cell Proliferation. John Wiley & Sons Ltd, 2017, 50: 1-9.
Mak VC, Wong OG, Siu MK, Wong ES, Ng WY, Wong RW, Chan KK, Ngan HY, Cheung AN. FBI-1 Is Overexpressed in Gestational Trophoblastic Disease and Promotes Tumor Growth and Cell Aggressiveness of Choriocarcinoma via PI3K/Akt Signaling. Am J Pathol 2015 Jul;185(7):2038-48.
Siu KY, Kong DS, Ngai SY, Chan HY, Jiang L, Wong ESY, Liu S, Chan KKL, Ngan HYS and Cheung ANY. p21-Activated Kinases 1, 2 and 4 in Endometrial Cancers: Effects on Clinical Outcomes and Cell Proliferation. PLoS One 2015, 10(7): e0133467.
Chan KKL, Leung TH, Chan DW, Wei N, Lau GT, Liu SS, Siu MK, and Ngan HY. Targeting estrogen receptor subtypes in ovarian cancer. J. Endocrinol2014 221(2):325-36.
Chan KKL, Leung THY, Chan DW, Wei N, Lau TY, Liu S, Siu KY and Ngan HYS. Targeting estrogen receptor subtypes (ERalpha and ERbeta) with selective ER modulators in ovarian cancer. Journal of Endocrinology 2014, 221: 325-336.
Liu X, Siu KY, Liu S, Yam JWP, Ngan HYS and Chan DW. Epigenetic silencing of microRNA-199b-5p is associated with acquired chemoresistance via activation of JAG1-Notch1 signaling in ovarian cancer. Oncotarget 2014, 5: 944–958.
Mak VC, Lee L, Siu MK, Wong OG, Lu X, Ngan HY, Wong ES, Cheung AN. Downregulation of ASPP2 in choriocarcinoma contributes to increased migratory potential through Src signaling pathway activation. Carcinogenesis. 2013 Jun 17. [Epub ahead of print] [PubMed]
Siu MK, Wong ES, Kong DS, Chan HY, Jiang LL, Wong OS, Lam EW, Chan KK, Ngan HY, Le XF, Cheung AN. Stem cell transcription factor Nanog promotes ovarian cancer cell migration and invasion through E-cadherin and FOXJ1 and associates with poor prognosis in patients. Oncogene 2013; 32:3500-9. [PubMed]
Mak VC, Siu MK, Wong OG, Chan KK, Ngan HY, Cheung AN. Dysregulated stemness-related genes in gynecological malignancies. Histol Histopathol 2012; 27:1121-30. [PubMed]
Siu MK, Kong DS, Chan HY, Wong ES, Ip PP, Jiang L, Ngan HY, Le XF, Cheung AN. Paradoxical impact of two folate receptors, FRα and RFC, in ovarian cancer: effect on cell proliferation, invasion and clinical outcome. PLoS One. 2012;7(11):e47201. [PubMed]
Jiang L, Siu MK, Wong OG, Tam KF, Lu X, Lam EW, Ngan HY, Le XF, Wong ES, Monteiro LJ, Chan HY, Cheung AN. iASPP and Chemoresistance in Ovarian Cancers – Effects on Paclitaxel-Mediated Mitotic Catastrophe. Clin Cancer Res 2011; 17:6924-6933. [PubMed]
Mak VC, Lee L, Siu MK, Wong OG, Lu X, Ngan HY, Wong ES, Cheung AN. Downregulation of ASPP1 in gestational trophoblastic disease: correlation with hypermethylation, apoptotic activity and clinical outcome. Mod Pathol. 2011 Apr;24(4):522-32.
Zhang HJ, Siu MK, Yeung MC, Jiang LL, Mak VC, Ngan HY, Wong OG, Zhang H, Cheung AN. Overexpressed PAK4 promotes proliferation, migration and invasion of choriocarcinoma. Carcinogenesis 2011; 32:765-71. [PubMed]
Zhang HJ, Siu MK, Yeung MC, Jiang LL, Mak VC, Ngan HY, Wong OG, Zhang HQ, Cheung AN. Overexpressed PAK4 promotes proliferation, migration and invasion of choriocarcinoma. Carcinogenesis. 2011 May;32(5):765-71.
Zhao F, Siu MK, Jiang L, Tam KF, Ngan HY, Le XF, Wong OG, Wong ES, Chan HY, Cheung AN. Overexpression of dedicator of cytokinesis I (Dock180) in ovarian cancer correlated with aggressive phenotype and poor patient survival. Histopathology. 2011 Dec;59(6):1163-72. [PubMed]
Zhao F, Siu MK, Jiang L, Tam KF, Ngan HY, Le XF, Wong OG, Wong ES, Chan HY, Cheung AN. Overexpression of Dock180 in ovarian cancer correlated with aggressive phenotype and poor patients’ survival. Histopathology 2011; 59: 1163-72. [PubMed]
Jiang L, Siu MK, Wong OG, Tam KF, Lam EW, Ngan HY, Le XF, Wong ES, Chan HY, Cheung AN. Overexpression of proto-oncogene FBI-1 activates membrane type 1-matrix metalloproteinase in association with adverse outcome in ovarian cancers. Mol Cancer. 2010;9:318.
Siu MK, Chan HY, Kong DS, Wong ES, Wong OG, Ngan HY, Tam KF, Zhang H, Li Z, Chan QK, Tsao SW, Strömblad S, Cheung AN. p21-activated kinase 4 regulates ovarian cancer cell proliferation, migration, and invasion and contributes to poor prognosis in patients. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:18622-7.
Siu MK, Wong ES, Chan HY, Kong DS, Woo NW, Tam KF, Ngan HY, Chan QK, ChanDC, ChanKY, Cheung AN. Differential expression and phosphorylation of Pak1 and Pak2 in ovarian cancer: effects on prognosis and cell invasion. Int J Cancer. 2010 Jul 1;127(1):21-31.
Zhang HJ, Siu MK, Jiang LL, Mak VC, Ngan HY, Cheung AN. Overexpression of the Parkinson disease protein DJ-1 and its regulator PTEN in gestational trophoblastic disease. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2010;29:468-75.
- Siu MK and Cheng CY. The blood-follicle barrier (BFB) in disease and in ovarian function. In Biology and Regulation of Blood‐Tissue Barriers, Eds Cheng CY. Austin, TX, USA: Landes Bioscience. 2012; 186-192.
- Siu MK and Cheng CY. Extracellular matrix and its role in spermatogenesis. In Molecular Mechanisms in Spermatogenesis, Eds Cheng CY. Austin, TX, USA: Landes Bioscience. 2008; 74-85.
- Differential roles of estrogen receptor subtypes and variants in ovarian cancer: implications for personalized hormonal treatment. University Grants Committee of Hong Kong (UGC) Research Grants Council (RGC) Earmarked Grant for Research 2013-2014 (Co-Investigator) HK$ 736,128 (2013-2016)
- FBI-1 (Pokemon) in Gestational Trophoblastic Disease. University Grants Committee of Hong Kong (UGC) Research Grants Council (RGC) Earmarked Grant for Research 2011-2012 (Co-Investigator) HK$560,000 (2011-2013)
- p21-activated kinase 4: a prognostic and therapeutic target for ovarian carcinoma? The Hong Kong Anti-Cancer Society (HKACS) Cancer Research Grant 2007 (Principal Investigator) HK$ 296,137 (2007-2009)
- Integrated human papilloma virus analysis as adjunct for triage of atypical cervical cytology Research Fund for the Control of Infectious Diseases - Full Grants 2007 (Co-Investigator) HK$798,923 (2007-2009)
- Effects of folate and folate receptor on ovarian and endometrial cancer: an in vitro study. The American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR) Post-doctoral Award (Principal Investigator) US$ 49,500 (HK$ 386,100) (2006-2008)
- Akt and p21-activated kinase signaling pathways in gestational trophoblastic disease. University Grants Committee of Hong Kong (UGC) Research Grants Council (RGC) Earmarked Grant for Research 2006-2007 (Co-Investigator) HK$844,500 (2006-2008)
- Regulation of anchoring junction dynamics in the testis. University Grants Committee of Hong Kong (UGC) Research Grants Council (RGC) Earmarked Grant for Research 2004-2005 (Co-Investigator) HK$939,968 (2004-2006)
- Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research or Small Project Funding (Principal Investigator) (2004, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011) Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research or Small Project Funding (Co-Investigator) (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2012)
Awards and Honors
- Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare 2011 - Marquis Who's Who Reed Reference Publishing Company, New Providence, NJ
- Avon Foundation-AACR International Scholar-in-Training Grant - Siu MK, Woo NW, Ngan HY, Cheung AN. Differential expression of p21-activated kinases (Paks) in ovarian cancer. [abstract]. In: American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting: Proceedings; 2006 Mar 31- Apr 5; Washington DC; AACR; 2006. Abstract nr 5023.
- Predoctoral Student Travel Award - Siu MK, Mruk DD, Lee WM, Cheng CY. The adhering junction dynamics in the testis are regulated by an interplay of ß1-integrin, focal adhesion kinase (FAK) and the focal adhesion complex (FAC)-associated proteins. The 42nd American Society for Cell Biology Annual Meeting, 2002.