1a. Comply fully with the International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes and relevant World
1b. Have a written infant feeding policy that is routinely communicated to staff and parents.
1c. Establish ongoing monitoring and data-management systems.
2. Ensure that staff have sufficient knowledge, competence and skills to support breastfeeding.
- Discuss the importance and management of breastfeeding with pregnant women and their families.
- Facilitate immediate and uninterrupted skin-to-skin contact and support mothers to initiate
- Support mothers to initiate and maintain breastfeeding and manage common difficulties.
- Do not provide breastfed newborns any food or fluids other than breast milk, unless medically indicated.
- Enable mothers and their infants to remain together and to practise rooming-in 24 hours a day.
- Support mothers to recognize and respond to their infants’ cues for feeding.
- Counsel mothers on the use and risks of feeding bottles, teats and pacifiers.
- Coordinate discharge so that parents and their infants have timely access to ongoing support and care.
- Respect and support mothers who made an informed choice not to breastfeed.
- Promote and support Mother Friendly Care.
Baby-friendly Hospital Environment
- Encourage and facilitate staff to continue breastfeeding when they return to work.
- Support mothers in breastfeeding their infants in public areas of the hospital and provide baby care room when necessary.
Summary of International Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes (WHO/UNICEF)
Manufacturers and distributors should comply with the Code’s provisions even if Hong Kong has not yet implemented the Code即使香港尚未實施母乳代用品銷售守則，製造商及分銷商均應遵守本守則的條文。
No advertising of all breastmilk substitutes to the public.不用廣告向公眾宣傳母乳代用品。
No free samples to pregnant women and mothers.不免費派發母乳代用品樣本予孕婦或母親。
No promotion of products in health care facilities, including no free or low-cost formula.不在醫療機構中推銷有關產品，包括提供免費或廉價的母乳代用品。
No company representatives to contact pregnant women and mothers.不讓公司代表接觸孕婦或母親。
No gifts or personal samples to health workers. Health workers should never pass products on to pregnant women and mothers不向醫護人員贈送禮品或樣板。醫護人員亦不應把此類物品轉送給孕婦或母親。
No words or pictures idealizing artificial feeding, including pictures of infants on the labels.不以文字或圖畫的形式美化配方奶餵哺，包括在產品標籤上印製嬰兒的圖片。
Information to health workers must be scientific and factual.提供給醫療人員的資訊必須有科學跟據和合乎事實。
All information on artificial infant feeding must explain the benefits and superiority of breastfeeding, and the costs and hazards associated with artificial feeding.有關配方奶餵哺的所有資訊，都必須列明母乳餵哺的益處和優越性，以及配方奶餵哺的代價和不良影響。
Unsuitable products, such as sweetened condensed milk should not be promoted for babies.不應推銷不適合嬰兒食用的產品(例如煉奶等)。
Remarks: Breastmilk substitutes include: infant formula, follow- up formula, feeding bottles, teats, baby food and beverages etc.
備註: 母乳代用品包括: 初生嬰兒配方奶粉、特別配方奶粉、奶瓶、奶咀、嬰兒飲料及食品等。
The international Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes was adopted by the World Health Assembly in 1981 as a tool to protect breastfeeding.
|Service||Time & Venue||Target Group||Responsible Person||Booking Procedure|
|Breastfeeding Health Talk
|Queen Mary Hospital Cantonese, English and Mandarin classes as scheduled session||AN women who plan to BF||Lactation Consultant||Book the class via Antenatal class booking system or call 2589 2387 for details|
|Breastfeeding Practising Class
|Queen Mary Hospital
|In hospital breastfeeding mother and baby||Assigned Midwife||Postnatal ward arrangment|
|In patient consultation to Lactation Consultant||Queen Mary Hospital
9:00am-5:00pm (except Public Holiday)
|Staff of O&G and Paed to refer QMH in-patient mother with breastfeeding problems||Lactation Consultant||Inter-hospital booking arrangement|
|Out patient consultation to Lactation Consultant||Queen Mary Hospital
Monday to Friday
|Discharged mothers who delivered in QMH or babies are QMH in-patient||Lactation Consultant||
Consult staff of Midwife Clinic (Postnatal) 2255 5524 or call Breastfeeding hotline 7306 9687
-> 1 Aug 2022 onwards 2255 7381
|Mon to Sun
08:00am – 8:00pm
|Discharged breastfeeding mothers||Lactation Consultant||
Call Breastfeeding hotline 7306 9687
-> 1 Aug 2022 onwards 2255 7381